Rampages

Filed under Features, Top Stories

Under Appreciated Instruments

Usually when people thing of instruments they think of common ones in a marching band or just a regular band, but many instruments are too underrated and need to be recognized  more. Some of these are used a lot in todays music but a lot of us don’t notice. Here are some instruments an information about them that you should pay more attention to.

1.Violin- The violin is an amazing instrument. The modern violin has been around for roughly 500 years and was said to have been designed by Andrea Amati in the 1500s.It was considered an instrument for the lower class until great composers made it known.The word violin comes from the Medieval Latin word vitula, which means, stringed instrument. It was often played at birthdays, weddings, funerals, and other significant occasions. While the violin is made by a luthier and it takes 70 pieces of wood to make a modern one,the bow  is made by an archetier, or bow maker, and uses 150-200 hairs from the tail of a horse. The bow typically has a wider ribbon so that what all the hairs are for.The violin can be used to play folk, traditional,classical,jazz, and other popular music as long as its played right. It is also the highest pitched member of the chordophones, stringed instruments that are either plucked or played with a bow. The violins sound is one of the most  pleasing and peaceful sounds that I’ve heard.

2.Ukulele – The ukulele was invented in the 1880’s in Hawaii. It is said that some Portuguese instruments influenced the build. The first 3 people to build it was Augusto Dias, Jose do Espirito Santo, and Manuel Nunes. They were originally cabinetmakers. King Kalakaua  incorporated this into royal gatherings at the time making it known. The word ukulele is Hawaiian for jumping flea. Ukuleles are originally made out of wood but these days some are made from plastic or other materials. The Ukulele is played in many traditional or Hawaiian folk music but also in other genres. People have been making ukulele covers for pop and rock songs as well. This member of the lute family has a sound that is cheerful but also calming. It brings out the fun in most people.

3.Harp- The harp is one of the oldest instruments in the world, it has been dated to be here since around 3000 B.C. It was first found in Mesopotamian culture on the sides of ancient Egyptian tombs. The word harp came from the word harpa  which was first used to describe pluck stringed instruments. The harp is apart of many cultures in Africa. Between the 8th and 18th centuries, they were Madde of only one piece of wood. Some carved and covered with leather and was strung with different objects such as animal parts or metals. The harp was originally played for classical formal music since the 1940s its been brought into being apart of pop and jazz music. The harps sound is so lovely that people like to think its a signal of peace and represents heaven.

4.Accordion- The accordion originated from Germany. Many people think of Italy but thats just where it was patented. It’s often referred to as a squeezebox.The accordion is called a free reed instrument because it uses free-standing reeds to make sound.The original name was handaoline and another man created another version calling it the accordion because the addition of buttons. The accordion has three primary sections. Those are the expandable bellows, the treble end, and the bass end.  It was introduced to magicians in 1777, since then there have been some major improvements to this instrument. Many more improvements are to come because the use of it in many different genres  of music. They have made an electric accordion bringing it even farther into todays music.

These 4 instruments are really underrated and thats a problem. Not only these ones but many others aren’t noticed by the public aa lot either. That needs to change, every single instrument is special and we shouldn’t focus on just one but multiple. The origin, sounds, and backgrounds of them are also important. Plus the fact that some are able to be brought into sync with each other, and making a great sound, while knowing that they are complete opposites is fantastic. I recommend looking into other instruments than just your common ones. Wouldn’t it be nice if you knew more about the music you listen to? Im sure whatever you listen to has an unheard instrument to your ear. Find it out and appreciate the small things more.

About the Writer
Breona Csizmadia, Staff Writer
My name is Breona Csizmadia but my friends usually call me Bre. I am a freshman in highlands which also means that I am in 9th grade. My hobbies include photography, writing, and some sports. Although I like those activities, I also like to stay home with my younger brother and sister. Throughout my years...