Rampages

Filed under Features, Top Stories

The (no) ‘tail’ of Dextar and Hammie

Back to Article
Back to Article

The (no) ‘tail’ of Dextar and Hammie

I’m here to tell you about the story of Dextar and Hammie. The story we’ve all been waiting for, a select few may know but the mystery needs to be revealed. A classmate of ours thought it was a good idea to have a friend in class, but not a human. Right before thanksgiving she went on a hunt for the right class pet for D-203. We joked about a pet in class for a couple weeks until she became serious. To the mall they go into ‘Pet Land’ to find the hamster, Dextar. Everyone was stoked about the little creature. Walking into school eyes followed the girls as they laughed and took the cage to Mr.Taladays room. The best few weeks we filled Dextar with love and care.

Dextar while he was making new friends

During Thanksgiving break, she took the hamster to a friends house where a tragedy took place. All fun and games until the friend woke up one day to realize the top of the cage had been open. In a panic she looked around the house and told the family to help her look for Dextar. She called the owner of him and she panicked, she wanted to replace him so they took a stop up to Pet Smart but none of them seemed right. So then she heads back to Pet Land and found, Hammie. On the way home they find that Hammie has bit a hole through the box he was supposedly taken home in. Trouble begins as soon as Hammie gets comfortable in the new home. She hears screaming coming from downstairs, it seems the cat had Dextar in her mouth! The friend once again panicked and yelled at the cat. She takes Dextar into her arms and gave him love. So with the new problem of two hamsters and one small cage, we needed to think fast. The student calls Petland to see… if she can return the hamster. They say yes the first time we call but then everyone says you can’t return an animal you just bought. So she called again and they say.. no. Continuing the issue of the existence of two hamsters in our hands. We ask around for anyone who wants Dextar, since we had already took Hammie into school.

Hammie getting used to the new home and students

No one really needed a new pet, nor were they allowed to have one. A good friend in our group eventually took Dextar into caring hands. Everything eventually started to be okay until we get a call about him.. He had recently passed he to trauma and confusion. We let out our tears and she peacefully buried the little critter in her back yard.. We love you Dextar please RWG <3

About the Writer
Alexia Morrow, Staff Writer

I'm Alexia, a senior at Highlands Highschool. I am usually busy doing extra curriculars in and out of school. With 3 jobs things can be difficult but always...