Rampages

Filed under News, Top Stories

Make a difference and VOTE!

“The government is founded on the people and it’s for the people by the people. If you don’t vote, it’s not by the people anymore” says 87 year old Dorothy Nee. As the midterm elections approach, it is important to keep in mind how important your vote is. Voting is defined by an expression of opinion and perseverance. Your opinions and voices want to be heard. Why else would we be allowed to vote? Voting gives you an opportunity to be part of decision making that affects your life and the future of your district, state, and country. As Dorothy said, if you don’t vote, the government will no longer be made by the people.

Over the past year and a half, I have had the privilege to work as an intern on the Nulph for House campaign. Being an intern, I have worked alongside Josh in his campaign and have seen the process of a midterm election. I’ve gone out and knocked 1,000’s of doors and have made hundreds of phone calls. Seeing what goes on behind the scenes of a midterm election, I have gained the knowledge of how important it is not to only vote, but how to get educated on who to vote for. A good way to decide who you want to vote for is to just simply get out into your community and see what candidates have done for you and how they are involved. Research their stances and what they desire to achieve if elected. Talk to people in your community to keep the conversation going about the election and who seems to best fit your district/state. In a midterm election, a candidates party should not dictate your decision. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican, your decision should be based on who is most qualified. “No matter your party, it is important that we all get out to vote” says State House Representative candidate Joshua Nulph. Become educated about who is on the ballot, and vote to make a difference and to benefit your future.

About the Writer
Mekenzie Heinle, Staff Writer

I am a 17 year old senior at Highlands High School. I am the senior class Treasuer and band Vice President. I am involved in NHS, soccer, marching band,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Make a difference and VOTE!”

1. John Jiler on November 25th, 2018 3:26 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear High School Journalist;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide lawless and violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

Highlands Anatomy class

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

15 Highlands students featured at AK Honors Band Festival

• News

Teacher Appreciation

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

Unsolved Murders: The Case of the Zodiac Killer

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

The Quest For Worms

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

The Engineering Team that Could

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

A Magical Experience

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

Highlands School Year Overview

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

Royal Wedding

• Make a difference and VOTE!

News

Highlands Wins With Bring Your Child To Work Day

The news site of Highlands High School
Make a difference and VOTE!