Rampages

Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Law Of The Lunchroom

Does Our School Lunch Need To Change?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Law Of The Lunchroom

For almost 8 years, Michelle Obama has controlled the lunchroom vis-à-vis “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act”. But the Obama’s presidency is over, so why isn’t the lunchroom terror over?

This act, intended to allow school children to have “healthy, free lunches”, was passed in 2010 as a federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama. The act allowed almost 21.5 million USA children to receive a free or reduced-price lunch at school.  It reduced the amount of portion sizes, sodium (salt), sugar, and fat content, and increased the amount of fruits, vegetables, and whole grain. It allowed poor students to healthy and for free. Sounds nice, doesn’t it? However, the act does have its downfalls.

Many students wake up early in the morning and receive a light breakfast or skip the meal entirely. because of this, most students rely on lunch to give them the fuel they require to get them through the school day. Other students have after-school activities and need a filling lunch to help them make it until dinner. But with the reduced portions, salt, and fat content, where are these students getting their energy from? Three chicken strips, six cold mushy fries, some salad, peaches, and milk. For a growing teenager, this is the equivalent of starvation.

We are still growing, and require a certain amount of fat, calories, salt, and food to keep us healthy and strong. Instead, students are choosing to skip these “disgusting” lunches and starve themselves. Starvation can cause brain damage, and weaken the students ability to think, perform, or concentrate. This can have a massive effect on their school work and social life, causing lapses in memory and in concentration.

One parent even said, “I like that it is free. That makes keeping track of lunch accounts so easy! What I don’t like, though, is that certain parts of the lunch are mandated, and not to the kids’ tastes, which contributes to a massive amount of food waste, or that kids just skip eating altogether.”

About the Writer
Eve Trent, Staff Writer

Hello! The name is Eve Trent, I am a senior in high school and planning on going to CCAC for Massage Therapy, then going to a 4-year university for Biological...